Honors, Distinctions, and Education
- Founding member, 2018 Vice-Chair, and 2019 Chair of the Colorado Bar Association Cannabis Law Section
- 2014 J.D., Order of the Coif, University of Denver Sturm College of Law
- 2012–2014 Staff Editor, University of Denver Law Review
- 2008 B.A., Colorado College
- Licensed to practice in the States of Colorado and Oregon
Jeff Wilson leads the firm’s cannabis practice, representing clients in all matters relating to marijuana, hemp, and cannabinoids. One of the few veteran cannabis attorneys, Jeff has achieved favorable outcomes for hundreds of clients accused of criminal offenses, license violations, and municipal, zoning, and other code infractions. He has successfully defended clients against state and federal criminal prosecutors, the Colorado Marijuana Enforcement Division, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the Department of Homeland Security, local government authorities, and in civil forfeiture actions. Jeff also represents cannabis clients, both plaintiffs and defendants, in civil litigation.
In addition to aggressively representing clients in court and in formal administrative proceedings, Jeff counsels businesses and individuals on all aspects of regulatory compliance and business matters, including business formation, obtaining and maintaining licenses, permits, and registrations, and negotiating and drafting contracts and other legal documents to protect clients’ interests and to achieve their business goals.
Jeff helped found the Colorado Bar Association Cannabis Law Section, the only cannabis-specific professional organization for Colorado attorneys, for which he served as Vice-Chair in 2018 and Chair in 2019. He has written and presented extensively on cannabis law topics, including most recently being published in the Colorado Bar Association’s 2022 cannabis law treatise, Cannabis Law in Colorado, First Edition, authoring the chapter on license disciplinary proceedings.
- Won motion to suppress all evidence in felony cannabis home-grow case in Jefferson County, resulting in the dismissal of all charges.
- Successfully protected and preserved the continued operations of a statewide cannabis business empire when the Marijuana Enforcement Division sought revocation of all of its licenses.
- Negotiated unsupervised misdemeanor probation for Vietnamese seafood magnate charged with multiple, mandatory-minimum felonies related to allegations of funding illegal cannabis cultivations across Colorado.
- Obtained deferred judgment for client with 12 pounds of marijuana in luggage at Denver International Airport.
- Successfully reduced felony charges to misdemeanor unsupervised probation for client accused of submitting inaccurate application to the Marijuana Enforcement Division.
- Achieved probation-only outcomes for clients in 800-plant felony cultivation case in Lincoln County, felony butane hash extraction case in Denver County, 8-pound felony trafficking case in Elbert County, massive black-market cannabis ring in Weld County, and felony cannabis trafficking case in Boulder County.
- Represented numerous cannabis businesses in licensing and disciplinary hearings in multiple jurisdictions across Colorado, with all clients either obtaining or preserving their licenses.
- Won return of lawful hemp and CBD products seized by US Customs and Border Protection.
- Successfully achieved probation-only sentence for client facing mandatory 8-year minimum first-degree drug felony charges in 100-pound marijuana trafficking case in Arapahoe County District Court.
- Won dismissal of all charges for client accused of trafficking cannabis edibles through the mail in Denver County.
- Successfully recovered over $80,000 in bullion seized by law enforcement from Estes Park landlord who had a tenant growing marijuana.
- Represented landlord in Park County, Colorado in butane hash production case resulting in no charges being filed.
- Won dismissal of all charges and return of all seized property in felony marijuana cultivation case in Lake County.
- Successfully recovered hundreds of thousands of dollars seized by law enforcement from numerous clients across Colorado.
- Obtained probation-only sentence for client facing potential murder charges following a home invasion where an intruder was killed in El Paso County.
- Represented medical marijuana patients across Colorado and successfully avoided any criminal charges being filed in numerous cases.
- Won complete dismissal of nuisance charges brought against client relating to a home cannabis cultivation in Douglas County.
- Obtained deferred judgment in Summit County marijuana DUI case in which client tested at over 6 times the presumptive limit for THC.
- Won dismissal of DUI and Domestic Violence charges in Adams County Court.
- Represented clients charged with marijuana offenses in over 20 different jurisdictions in Colorado, all of which ultimately avoided any sentence to imprisonment.